Sunday, January 17, 2010

Somewhat sunny Saturday after rainy days

Saturday January 16, 2010 turned out to be a pleasantly sunny day, especially the afternoon. I went for a bike ride along Dallas Road that runs through Beacon Hill Park. I stopped just east of the Beacon Hill on the water side and took several photos. I chose four for my Flickr photostream.

On the way back home after stopping for refreshments at the Ogden Point Cafe, I decided to bike through Beacon Hill Park. Somehow I was attracted to a grave monument that just happened to be that of Stephen Allen Spencer (1829-1911) and family. S.A. Spencer was one of Victoria's first commercial photographers in the late 1850s. I added six photographs of the grave site to his page on my Camera Workers Web site. I also submitted one of the photos of the north face of the monument commemorating his son John Norman Spencer (1892-1917) who was killed in France during World War One to Veteran Affairs Canada. J.N. Spencer is buried in the Gwalia Cemetery, Belgium, which is managed by the Commonwealth Graves Commission.

S.A. Spencer and family grave monument, Ross Bay Cemetery, Victoria, BC

Later in the day I gathered up clothing and shoes no longer of use to our family and took them to a Compassionate Resource Warehouse of Victoria dropoff for the people of Haiti devastated by a catastrophic earthquake on January 12.

If you would like a list of reputable, legitimate aid organizations through which you can donate, I have several on my Doomsday Blog page Help Support Disaster Relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just so you know, all comments are moderated.