Monday, December 21, 2009

Has this ever happened to you, stringing holiday lights the wrong way?

Has this ever happened to you? Stringing your holiday lights the wrong way? Yes, I did that on the weekend while stringing our Christmas lights. So I though, there has to be a male-male adapter out there so you can fix this without having the relay the entire string. I even sketched out my idea. I went to a local hardware store and was told no, that people would fry themselves if such a thing were available. Hmmm, so I checked The Google and sure enough Georgianna Reid of Kansas City, MO, USA, filed a United States patent in 2005 for just such a device. And the first sentence of the summary as found on FreePatentsOnline states "A double male electrical connector is provided to connect the female end of a string of Christmas lights with the female end of an extension cord suitable for plugging into a wall outlet." Her design, unlike my preliminary sketch, which obviously won't go anywhere, includes a safety feature so that "the apparatus includes a jacket receiving the connector for axially slidable use so that both male plugs cannot both be simultaneously exposed," which would leave the inevitable people-frying mentioned by my local hardware representative.

David's male-male-female electrical adapter sketch, Dec 20, 2009 (already invented)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just so you know, all comments are moderated.