Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tsunami reflections from a Hawaii boy

Having grown up in Hawaii I remember well the monthly civil defense warning drills. I remember gathering in the school yard of my elementary school and being dismissed to return home as the result of a tsunami warning and I'm pretty sure it was in May 1960 following the earthquake that had hit Chile and generated a tsunami which caused extensive damage and loss of life in Hilo. I don't think our family, which lived literally right next door to the school, left the area as we were on relatively high ground to begin with.

On a round-island trip to the Big Island of Hawaii in the 1970s I remember hearing about the 1964 tsunami generated by an Alaska earthquake that also damaged Hilo and visiting areas on the Big Island that had been devastated by another Alaskan earthquake-driven tsunami in 1946.

Most of today I've spent glued to the TV and the Internet monitoring what's going on in Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just so you know, all comments are moderated.